Friday, August 31, 2007

Gua Tai

Whhooaahh!!

I accompanied my mother to watch the "Ge Tai" just now!

It has been a long time since I watched a Ge Tai. This is because I am not a great big fan, the content is about other gods, not very Christian content (eh, hokkein, chinese, ge tati leh, what you expect??), and also simple there are not really many Tai near my place, need traveling. As for today, my mother have plans to watch a Tai, so she suggested that we go to eat at Potong Pasir (the Ge Tai's area) before going to watch when I asked her where should we go for dinner.

We were quite late when we reached there and had our dinner before proceeding to the stage area. We were quite lost as were not very familiar with Potong Pasir. We depended on our hearing to find the stage area. Cool, right?



The singer when we arrive at the Ge Tai


Can you recognise them?

They both acted in 881. The guy (Lin Li) acted as the host for the Ge Tai when the Papaya Sisters and the Durian sisters are having the final showdown. The lady (Lin Ru Ping) acted as the mother for Big Papaya. Both of them are quite famous in the Ge Tai field, according to my mother (you think I would know that?? No way! Actually I only know Lin Ru Ping is famous)

The 2 hosts, they brag about the quality of tonight's show. Saying that the band is the most expensive Ge Tai band, the 2 of them are the top hosts (they are like talking about each other, but kept denying that they are that good, quite humble though, haha.. don't know if it is for the show, or they really felt that way). That the singers tonight are of top grade. The male host also say that every year on the 19th of Lunar 7th month the Rong Hua Ge Tai will always be held at Potong Pasir. Uuually when the other Ge Tais are on random dates. They say the organiser insist on having one there every year. They also brag that the cost of this Tai is very expensive, easily 7 to 8 thousand. Lightings 900+, Band few hundred, stage material, few hundred, singers/hosts. Sometimes you can wonder how come those Buddhist and Taoist can be so generous when it comes to organising their religious events. Then you look at our own people.


Look! A male singer. Before he steps on stage, my uncle is already telling me that his singing is good. You know, his voice is hoarse after what (today is the 19th day of the 7th month), I guess 19 days of singing. He can barely speak properly, but somehow, he manages to sing very well, except a few slip notes on the harder-to-reach parts.


Another actor of the 881 cast. She acted as Karen in 881. The lady who got kidnapped by the Durian Sisters.

I watch it until about 9pm, then decided that I should go home first. Haha, the song are unable to stir up further enthusiasm for me to stay. Although I only know a few songs, I enjoyed the performance overall. Again, I shall state this fact: I am not a Lao Ah Pek. I am not an old man. It just happens so because my parents listen to their CDs at home regularly and subconsciously, I learnt those songs. I also went there to see how the stage was put up, how the lighting are put up, how the musicians play. Can rope in some tips for Christian Worship, although it might be hard to integrate those few small pointers.

Come back to the generosity problem. This is a very good point that Christians can learn. Although I cannot find any verses to support my view point now. I still think it is a good trait. Ever went to Chinese funerals? You can see that they give 'white gold' in 50s and 100s. But it is a sad thing to see Christians giving 2s and 5s during Christian Funerals. Some Christians ask them to give weekly offering is like wanting their life. What happened to Jesus's teaching about the old lady in the temple? Are you thinking that he is only joking and only wanted to compare her to the rich people? Numbers may not be the problem, sincerity and attitude is; maybe this is the way you might say to argue back to say about Jesus's teaching. 2s and 5s? Really, do not kid yourself, you cannot kid God. Yea. I just hope that I will not become some who is so stingy with my money that I will not fork out money for Christ's sake.

No comments: